Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Horrible, lame-ass day.

So I took a walk down to the stadium yesterday, and found the entrance to the track. It's way in the back, of course. I did a lot of walking yesterday, probably added up to 3 miles at least, but that's not an official workout, just exercise.

Then today I walked down there again, and timed myself on the track. After jogging one lap to warm up, I managed a faster circuit in about 2:15. As far as I know, it is an official quarter-mile track, so that would add up to a 9-minute mile pace, if I could actually keep it up for a whole mile. Unfortunately, I couldn't. I went around a couple more times, occasionally sprinting to catch a soccer ball kicked by one of the handsome Husky soccer guys practicing on the field. I got a stitch in my side and a nasty dip in blood sugar (which eating an orange did not cure, and eating a banana before I left the house did not prevent), and walked back home.

I am feeling very depressed. Partly because I am a slow, unfit runner, but mostly because I'm unemployed and I have a lot of bills due soon which I cannot pay. This may have been a factor in my shitty workout. It is hard to run fast (or, let's face it, run at all) when you're depressed.

I try to remind myself that lots of people (especially in Haiti at this moment) would be very grateful indeed to be in my shoes. I have all my body parts attached and in reasonably good condition, and I have lots of earning potential and a family that loves me. I just don't have a job ... or a greyhound body. Such is life.